How to start a sentence with the words "I believe."

What is the correct way to start a sentence with the words "I believe?"

The correct way is to omit that stupid, awful phrase.
I believe the best way to catch a ninja is to use some sort of humane trap that is not likely to cause injury.

Just cut it right out of the sentence:
I believe The best way to catch a ninja is to use some sort of humane trap that is not likely to cause injury.

So, that is the lesson for today. Kill that awful, little phrase.  When you say “I believe,” it is like saying, “This may not be true, but believe it is true.”  

You have a more powerful sentence when you just state what you believe.  You do not have to qualify your assertion as something YOU believe. If you are saying it, you clearly believe it.  

If you want to look at a more serious example, consider this line from a professional letter:
I believe my areas of interest and specialized knowledge enable me to find real inspiration for this kind of work.

Cut it out:
I believe my My areas of interest and specialized knowledge enable me to find real inspiration for this kind of work.

Even if you see it in the middle of the sentence, cut it out:
My areas of interest and specialized knowledge enable me to find real inspiration for this kind of work, and I believe my own values are consistent with those of your fine organization.


Cut out those two awful words, and your sentence will pack a harder punch. :-) 







AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell your Facebook friends about the $40 Strategic Edit at DoctorMyDocument.com